Round Up the Girl Scout Troops!
Round up the troops and bring ’em to Rancho Del Mar… the Girl Scout Troops, that is! We are a formally registered and approved location for San Diego – Imperial Council affiliated Junior Girl Scout Troops to earn their Horse Fan or Horse Rider badges. Brownies also can earn their Horseback Riding Fun Patch at RDM, which has introduced nearly 1,000 Girl Scouts to horses and ponies.
Our 2 1/2-hour badge or “Fun with Horses” programs are offered from September through June on Saturday afternoons, by appointment only. Reservations and a deposit of $75 are required, which will be applied to total cost.
Cost is $45 per rider with a minimum of $225 total. We are also happy to tailor a program for Scouts who would like more riding time or who may already have earned the badges. Helmets are provided and leaders are encouraged to refer to Safety-Wise for further information about what to wear.
A typical afternoon for Scouts includes:
- Watching a short riding demo
- Safety review
- Grooming and tacking a horse to ride
- Leading a horse
- Private riding lesson that includes trotting and steering around cones
- Discussions of other badge requirements
- Making “ice cream” cones for the horses while learning about their diet/health
- Possible scavenger hunt and/or other fun activities
Each Scout also takes home a folder of educational materials and fun activities to do later and receives a personalized Certificate of Achievement for any badges earned.